Nigel Farage withdraws from by-election count after 'police warning of credible threat against him'
Nigel Farage will not attend the count of the Clacton by-election over a "credible threat" made against him, Reform UK has said.
Mr Farage earlier told crowds that Essex Police said there was an "organised campaign to degrade and disrupt" the election result.
And his party has now just said the force "advised Nigel not to attend the count tonight due to a credible threat against him".
The acting returning officer in charge of the by-election said there was "no issue with continuing the count tonight", but made no direct mention of a threat against Mr Farage.
The Reform leader declared victory in the Clacton by-election to GB News in the early hours of Friday morning, saying he had "very convincingly" beaten "uniparty-backed" candidate Count Binface, whose real name is Jonathan Harvey - an Oxford-educated comedy writer.
THe Reform UK leader resigned as an MP to trigger the contest at the start of July amid a probe by the parliamentary standards commissioner over a £5million gift which he received before taking his seat in the Commons.
Under Commons rules, new MPs are required to register any gifts worth more than £300 they received in the previous 12 months, except where the gift "could not be reasonably thought by others" to relate to their political activities.
Turnout has been confirmed at 44.37 per cent, meaning more than 34,000 Britons have voted - though that's a lower number than the turnout at the last General Election.
We're expecting the results from Thursday's vote to roll in between 5am and 7am - so stick with us for live updates and coverage overnight.
FOLLOW BELOW FOR LIVE UPDATES THROUGHOUT THE NIGHT...
Reform UK reveals 'credible threat' behind Nigel Farage withdrawal
Nigel Farage withdrew from the by-election count due to a "credible threat" against him, Reform UK has said.
A party spokesman has just revealed Essex Police "advised Nigel not to attend the count tonight due to a credible threat against him".
It comes as Ian Davidson, the acting returning officer in charge of the by-election, has told Sky News there is "no issue" with the count going ahead.
"We work very closely with Essex Police and will be continuing the count in a safe and secure manner," Mr Davidson said.
"I will not comment on security matters. We've been working closely with Essex Police.
"We just had a further meeting, and there's no issue with continuing the count tonight."
Essex Police haven't yet revealed details of 'campaign to disrupt result'
Essex Police have not yet revealed details of what Nigel Farage has called an "organised campaign to degrade and disrupt" in Clacton tonight.
GB News has approached the force for more information - we'll bring you any updates as soon as we get them.
RECAP | Robert Jenrick tells GB News: ONLY Prime Minister Nigel Farage can deliver change Britain wants
Robert Jenrick told GB News earlier this evening that Clacton would not simply a "one-off", adding that the "Burnham bounce" doesn't exist.
Mr Jenrick said it was now "neck-and-neck" between Labour and Reform UK, declaring that he stands by his party leader amid talks of a second by-election.
He said: "I know where my constituents stand in Nottinghamshire. They want a big change as well, and that is only going to happen if we get Nigel into No10.
"And tonight it's just the next step on that road. Get Nigel back into Parliament, end this nonsense.
"Look, if there's another by-election that will just look silly, it will all be over. And Nigel can concentrate on the challenge ahead."
Mr Jenrick also shot down any notion that Reform UK had reached its political limit, saying the party had won seats throughout the country.
"Look, for a long time now, people have said, oh, Reform's peaked. It's all over. It's a bubble that's going to burst. It's not happened."
Nigel Farage reveals police warning of attempt to 'disrupt' Clacton by-election count

Nigel Farage has just said he been advised by Essex Police that there is an "organised campaign to degrade and disrupt" the election result announcement later this morning.
He confirmed he would not attend the count alongside the 33 other candidates present.
If he wins, Mr Farage would be the first victorious by-election candidate since Bobby Sands not attend an election count.
Earlier, the Reform UK leader refused to be drawn on whether he would attend the count.
And in what may have been a hint at the police warning, his colleague Robert Jenrick said Mr Farage was "the bravest person I know" when probed by GB News on whether he would attend.
Nigel Farage addressing 'people's army' in Clacton - follow live
Nigel Farage is addressing his "people's army" in Clacton after declaring victory in the by-election to GB News.
He has thanked crowds at "Farage fest" for their relentless campaigning - and has paid tribute to Ann Widdecombe after her funeral on Wednesday.
We'll bring you the latest from Mr Farage's address as soon as we get it.
Turnout in Clacton confirmed at 44.37%
Turnout in tonight's by-election has been confirmed to have reached 44.37 per cent.
Nigel Farage - who has already declared victory - will want to beat his 2024 total of 21,225 votes.
And Robert Jenrick has just told GB News the numbers looked "encouraging".
"That thousands of people have come out to vote bodes very well," Reform's Treasury spokesman said.
He dismissed other parties' claims that this was a "fake election", saying "every election is an opportunity to fight for what you believe in".
"The Establishment knew they couldnt beat Nigel," Mr Jenrick said.
"The old parties who have failed this country for a very long time have tried to get Nigel out of politics because he represents change. They can't beat him at the ballot box... They'll try every trick in the book."
Count Binface claims 'we're going to be back in a few weeks' amid talk of second Clacton by-election

Speaking to Sky News, Count Binface, whose real name is Jonathan Harvey, opened the door to a second by-election in Clacton if Nigel Farage is found to have broken Parliamentary rules.
"You just said at the beginning of this interview that Nigel Farage is claiming victory, but in that case it's going to be a two-legged match like the Carabao Cup or the Cold War, because we're going to be back again in a few weeks aren't we? We'll see what happens then."
He added: "Even if I got to 12 per cent, so one-in-eight people in Clacton would rather vote for a space warrior shaped like a bin than Nigel Farage, that would be interesting wouldn't it?
"If it goes higher and higher and higher, it says more about what the actual population thinks about Nigel Farage than maybe this election."
Mr Harvey has stood in six elections and by-elections before tonight.
He stood against Boris Johnson in the 2019 General Election and then again in his Uxbridge seat for a by-election when he resigned.
He also stood in Rishi Sunak's seat in 2024, and against Andy Burnham in the Makerfield by-election just weeks ago.
In 2021 and 2024, he stood against Sir Sadiq Khan in London mayoral elections.
Overall, he has never achieved a more than one per cent vote share - both times against the London Mayor.
Labour MP brands by-election 'embarrassing, ridiculous Victorian folly' in blistering attack
Labour MP Oliver Ryan has branded the Clacton by-election "the most embarrassing, ridiculous election by election ever" in a blistering attack on Nigel Farage.
Speaking to GB News just now, Mr Ryan said the vote was "like some kind of Victorian folly" as he mocked the Reform UK leader.
"This guy has been telling us for the last 10 years, certainly the last two years, that he's about to become the Prime Minister," he said.
Mr Farage had "subjected himself" to a "wildly embarrassing" ordeal in Clacton, he added.
'You drove my family into hiding!' Nigel Farage FURIOUS at Establishment in emotional message from Clacton

Nigel Farage has accused the Establishment of "driving his family into hiding" as he delivered an emotional message from Clacton ahead of tonight's by-election result.
Speaking to GB News from "Farage fest" in the Essex town, the Reform UK leader laid down the gauntlet to the "uniparty" amid fears of a second vote in the seat.
Mr Farage predicted he had won "very convincingly", saying he had beaten "Establishment candidate" Count Binface, the comedy writer named Jonathan Harvey backed by Labour, Tory and Lib Dem canvassers in Clacton.
"My voters are ordinary folk... Working people who get up early in the morning, go to work and are sick of the way this country is going and see me as a champion for their views," he said.
But with a parliamentary probe still looming if he does indeed win tonight, the Reform leader said he did not think the "uniparty" would call a second by-election if he is found to have breached the rules over a donation.
He resigned amid heightened scrutiny over the row, even admitting to GB News he did so in anger.
"If you threaten my family, threaten the safety of my daughter, drive another member of my family into hiding... Am I angry? I'm very angry," he said.
He added that it was "interesting" how attacks on his family had been dialled down after campaigning begun, and declared: "I was right to do this."
'They were SCARED' - Lee Anderson tells GB News Clacton boycotters are 'political cowards'
Lee Anderson, Reform UK's chairman, has branded the Westminster parties boycotting the Clacton by-election "political cowards" as he predicted a "win for democracy" in the seat.
Mr Anderson, speaking to GB News, said Labour, the Tories, Greens and Lib Dems "were scared to stand candidates since they knew that Nigel would thrash them at the ballot box".
"It's as simple as that," he added. "They are political cowards. They should be ashamed of themselves.
"I'll tell you what - We'll be partying into the night. We'll be celebrating Nigel Farage's victory - the man who's going to take us into No10 in about three years' time."
Mr Anderson also revealed the reason he believed there would not be a second by-election in Clacton, as other parties have predicted.
WATCH LEE ANDERSON'S INTERVIEW WITH GB NEWS HERE
Clacton election chief outlines 'challenges' after record 34 candidates stand

Ian Davidson, the acting returning officer and the chief executive at Tendring council, has said he had been forced to take on more staff at the count and had put double counting tables in place in order to cover all the votes for Clacton's record 34 candidates.
Mr Davidson told Sky News the overall by-election had cost about £250,000 - which Reform UK had offered to fund, but had its offer turned down.
He said: "Some of the challenges have been including postal votes, because getting that amount in, so sending them out to the postal voters, then envelopes to be able to return them.
"Then we've had to put double tables on, as you can see here, more staff to be able to manage the process through, and actually the cost of the ballot papers has been about four times as much as it was in the general election because of the sheer increase in size."
Reform UK's Gawain Towler outlines conditions for 'big win' in Clacton
Gawain Towler, the long-time Nigel Farage ally who now sits on Reform's board, has outlined the conditions for what will mark a "big win" tonight in Clacton.
With around 34,300 votes cast, Mr Farage needs just under 62 per cent to beat his 2024 total of 21,225 votes, Mr Towler said.
"Given Survation had him at 73 per cent, and others him at 69 per cent, that’s a low bar. Anything above 62 per cent tonight is a big win."
Provisional turnout CONFIRMED in Clacton
The provisional turnout for today's by-election is approximately 43 per cent, acting returning officer Ian Davidson said.
The exact final figure will be confirmed after verification of the ballots has been completed.
But the provisional turnout figure is down 15 per cent on the 2024 General Election turnout in the constituency - where Nigel Farage won with 46.2 per cent of the vote.
Conservatives claim by-election is 'fake' after failing to stand candidate
After polls in Clacton closed this evening, a spokesman for the Conservatives reiterated the party's position that the by-election was "fake".
"Nigel Farage called this fake by-election in a desperate attempt to draw a line under the questions surrounding his fishy £5 million donation. Whatever the outcome on Friday, this stunt has not done that," he bristled.
The party said the same when Mr Farage stepped down from the seat on July 7, triggering the by-election.
But when it had to face off against Reform UK in 2024, its vote share sunk by a staggering 44 per cent - taking in fewer than a third of all votes.
Labour claims Nigel Farage beseiged by 'mountain of scandals' - 27 days after ousting its own party leader
Labour has said Nigel Farage cannot "run from the truth forever" after the Clacton by-election closed at 10pm.
Bridget Phillipson, the party's chairwoman, said Mr Farage "spent 38 days fighting a bin in his most desperate attempt yet to deflect attention from the sleaze and scandals engulfing him and his party".
She added: “Farage may succeed in his run-off against a bin, but he can’t run from the truth forever. The list of unanswered questions about the £5 million gift he hid from the public, his support from a convicted fraudster and the mountain of other scandals he and Reform are facing isn’t going away. In fact, it’s getting longer by the day."
Labour's own leader was forced to step down following Andy Burnham's by-election victory in Makerfield just weeks ago - and it has only been 27 days since Andy Burnham took over.
His time in No10 has now been plunged into crisis amid growing rows over releasing violent criminals onto Britain's streets and scattering asylum seekers in military bases and Home Office housing across the nation.
RECAP: Catch up with all of GB News' Thursday coverage from Clacton here
Today's live blog from Clacton has now closed. To read through GB News' comprehensive coverage across the day, click the link below.
CLICK HERE TO RECAP ON ALL OF THURSDAY'S COVERAGE FROM CLACTON
Our Standards: The GB News Editorial Charter


