Jeremy Clarkson blasts government decision to strip men of right to prostate cancer test: 'Cannot work out why!'
Jeremy Clarkson has hit out at the government following the news that middle-aged men would no longer be entitled to testing designed to identify prostate cancer.
Men over 50 have been stripped of their right to the test, with GPs now given the powers to decide who is able to receive it.
Prior to the changes, any man over the age of 50 was entitled to a prostate-specific antigen (PSA) test via their GP, even if they did not have symptoms.
However, the new guidance puts the onus on family doctors to decide whether testing is appropriate.

Mr Clarkson has now joined a line of critics who have condemned the changes.
The 66-year-old, who went public with his own diagnosis during the latest season of Clarkson's Farm, expressed his bemusement in a social media post.
He wrote on X: "Until last week, men over 50 were entitled to a free PSA prostate cancer check.
"But the government has now decided to withdraw that right. I cannot for the life of me work out what their reasoning might be." (sic)
Until last week, men over 50 were entitled to a free PSA prostate cancer check. But the government has now decided to withdraw that right. I cannot for the life of me work out what their reasoning might be.— Jeremy Clarkson (@JeremyClarkson) August 16, 2026
The former Top Gear star's concerns echo those of former prime minister Lord David Cameron, who has also previously battled the illness.
Lord Cameron told The Telegraph: "This is yet another step backwards and once again shows why we need simple, proper targeted screening for all at-risk men.
"Screening is essential to catch cancers early, when they can be more effectively and successfully treated. Only due to testing, my cancer was caught and treated in time.
"I urge the new prime minister and health secretary to be brave and bold. Stop the complexity and confusion and introduce a more progressive and life-saving policy: a proper, targeted screening programme that involves all those at higher risk.
LATEST DEVELOPMENTS
- Hayden Panettiere's co-stars speak out following news of actor's death at 36: 'Devastating news!'
- Denise Welch breaks silence as she confirms she is quitting ITV's Loose Women
- Donald Trump says BBC harassed his family by 'abusing the deposition process'

"Without it, more men will die, and more families will lose a loved one. Heed the warnings; this is avoidable and can be done."
However, the government has decided to roll out the changes in its bid to introduce a narrow programme for men who are genetically at a higher risk.
Critics have argued that plans to reduce access might shorten waiting lists in the short-term, but would condemn thousands of men to incurable disease.
The issue is clearly one that hits close to home for Mr Clarkson, who revealed earlier this year that he was in remission from the illness.

He had signed off the latest series of his farming show, which was filmed last year, with a degree of uncertainty as to what the future may hold.
But following the episodes' broadcast this year, he confirmed testing had shown no evidence of the disease.
"I am without a doubt, officially, the world's luckiest man," he told the Sunday Times.
"It was an aggressive type of cancer. It could have spread, it could have gone into the pancreas, it could have gone anywhere, and that would have been trouble."

News of the testing restrictions wasn't the only ammo Mr Clarkson needed to hit out at the government in recent days.
The Grand Tour star has revealed he's less than fond of Prime Minister Andy Burnham's decision to ban instant barbecues as an answer to the risk of wildfires in the country.
"There are many things that cause wildfires during a heatwave. Faulty farm machinery, discarded cigarette ends, bored kids who think it might be a laugh to get a blaze going, and even a bit of broken glass," he penned in The Sun.
"But our glorious leader, T-Shirt Burnham, has decided the real problem is the disposable barbecue. Of course he has.
"And now he has banned them. Of course he has. That’s standard practice for the Labourites. People are out in the sunshine, cooking up a couple of sausages and having fun. We can’t have that. Let’s ban it."
Our Standards: The GB News Editorial Charter


